Tuesday, December 18, 2007

All about one of my characters: Rook (Summation)

Chapter one is called "Rook" and there is a good reason for that. It is the chapter where we get to meet one of the most impotant characters in the series. He is also my personal favourite. Why?
He was originally created to be a Dungeons and Dragons NPC and when I first described him I saw one of the players look a little creeped out and asked him what he was.
Rook looks like a masked man who wears a dark brown robe. his feet are armored and it is impossible to see anything but shadow beneath the eyeholes of the black metal mask that covers his face. When he speaks, the mask moves and flexes with his face to give the impression that the mask IS his face.
I conceived him because I wanted to make the scariest most sinister "good guy" possible. I drew some inspiration from No-Face from "Spirited Away" though I was mostly motivated by the iconic image of the cloaked-stranger. I wanted to name him after a black bird but all the good names were taken. I wanted to be original, so Raven was out. Honestly, Raven has been done so many times in so many things. I could get away with naming him Crow, but it was out because of Crow T Robot from MST3K. I wouldn't be able to think of my character without thinking of Crow! Ah!!! The only other birds that suited the role were sparrows (Johnny Depp) magpies (not scary) and Rooks. By process of elimination, Rook won. In the end I like the name Rook more than Crow or Raven.
But who is he?
Rook is a tragic anti-hero who cannot escape his dark past and now must redeem himself. He never takes off his mask around others (indeed, in the beginning of book one it was impossible for him to do so). He was involved in some very bad things in the past (what he was involved in, I shall withhold). He tries his best to be good and needs help doing so. He sounds likeable, right?
He is also completely ammoral. He sees nothing wrong with dealing out death to those who he thinks "deserve" it and is unflattering and doesn't get along with those he finds in the least bit detestable. He has no respect for tradition and hates with a villainous fury. If he wants to get the job done, he does it without obeying the laws. He's a bad cop, a vigilante, a hero who does things his way, a Robin Hood.
His greatest weakness is the constant fear he has of someone finding out about all the bad things he did before he began to wear his mask. Because of this, he stays away from most people and sulks in background, doing what he can to escape notice. He wants to be good, but if anyone finds out about his past crimes then he will be forever pursued by the very law that he wants to fight for. He may be a death-dealing vigilante but he doesn't want people to hate him.
Throughout books one and two, he sticks by the main character and acts as his second hand man, providing the muscle needed to get through a situation.

No comments: