Wednesday, December 19, 2007

All about one of my characters: Rook (Evolution)

He wears a cloak of dark brown that never seems to get dirty. Upon his back is emblazoned an outline of a bird that he claims to be a rook. The black metal mask he wears moves as though it were his face and it wraps around his head like the mask of Loki from the film "The Mask" starring Jim Carrey. He wears a hood and keeps a sword sheathed at his waist.
As I have already said, Rook was originally a Dungeons and Dragons NPC. He underwent some extensive changes from his days as a D&D character to the Rook of book 1. Originally he had a cloth mask which I liked because it reminded me of Leatherface. But a problem arose when I was writing book 1. I wanted it to be impossible for him to remove his mask until he learned all that there was to learn about his forgotten past and a cloth mask could be cut off with ease. The mask became metal. His personality also went through some changes. Originally he was a leader of an orginisation of an adventuring army and although it suited him for D&D I wanted an anti-hero. I made him ammoral to give him the frightening aspect of unpredictability and cruelty. Though he got no other cosmetic changes, I do think he has changed a lot since original conception, mostly in his goals and moral values.
He was also killed at the end of the quest he was in for D&D. This obviously would not happen in the end of book 1 yet I knew he might have to pay for his sins one day. I don't know if I'm going to kill him but he will pay one day. Will he inherit the death of his previous incarnation? Maybe... But if he dies, he won't die like V did.
It's odd, but I never read "V for Vendetta" or saw the film until long after book 1 was finished. When I saw the film, I saw Rook in almost every single aspect of V and now feel compelled to state that all similarities between V and Rook are coincidence. I want to be original, and though the idea of a masked anti-hero may not be original I would not model a character after another person's work so deliberately.

No comments: